Why do we do what we do? You might think you want one thing, let’s say, a job in a new industry, but then when it’s actually in your grasp, you sabotage yourself. Why? Why do you pursue some things and neglect others? Why do you date the people you do, work in your field or, for that matter, choose to not do other things?
It’s all because, subconsciously, you’re trying to fulfill your basic human needs. There are 6 human needs — emotional needs — that every single person on the planet has. This podcast dives deep into the basic needs of humans, as explained by Tony Robbins from his 2006 TED Talk, “Why We Do What We Do.” This talk has been viewed millions of times and was one of the first ever TED Talks.
Every single person fulfills these needs in different ways. That’s because even though we all have the same six needs, we value them differently. There are millions of stories out there created by different people, but once you know which needs are driving someone to make the decisions they do, you’ll understand them completely. Whether it’s compatibility in a romantic relationship or for a corporate partnership, you’ll be able to predict their behavior and be able to evaluate if you’re compatible.
The six human needs are:
1. Certainty. We all need to feel certain that we can avoid pain and also feel joy.
2. Uncertainty/variety. This is the need for spontaneity, to keep things exciting and fresh.
3. Significance. Who doesn’t want to feel important? Feeling valued is an essential part of being human.
4. Love and connection. Without love and connection, all the other successes you face in life are meaningless. By being able to form a connection and share your deepest thoughts and feelings with another person, you’re making yourself feel totally alive.
5. Growth. As Tony Robbins often says, “If you’re not growing, you’re dying.” Humans need to be working toward something, whether it’s growing a career, relationship or working toward achieving personal fulfillment.
6. Contribution. We seek fulfillment so we can ultimately give the world and the people we love something of value.
Which two of the six needs do you value most in life? Do you crave certainty and significance? Does growth and variety appeal to you above all else? Depending on which two needs drive your thoughts and behaviors, your attempts to fulfill these needs will drive you toward your ultimate destiny. To find out more about the core needs that drive all our decisions, continue listening to this episode of the Tony Robbins podcast.
Visit Tony Robbins’ websites:
Follow Tony Robbins @:
Tony Robbins is a #1 New York Times best-selling author, entrepreneur, and philanthropist. For more than 37 years, millions of people have enjoyed the warmth, humor and dynamic presentation of Mr. Robbins’ corporate and personal development events. As the nation’s #1 life and business strategist, he¹s called upon to consult and coach some of the world¹s finest athletes, entertainers, Fortune 500 CEOs, and even presidents of nations.